UK Genealogy Archives logo

Harwell, Berkshire

Historical Description

Harwell, a village and a parish in Berks. The village stands 2¼ miles SW from Didcot station on the G.W.R., and 6 E by N from Wantage, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Steventon (R.S.O.) The parish comprises 2521 acres; population, 729. The manor belonged in the 13th century to Eichard, king of the Romans, and belongs now to the Hopkins family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £346 with residence. The church is an ancient Gothic building of stone with an embattled western tower, and contains several monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, almshouses for six poor widows, and other charities worth about £250 a year.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBerkshire 
Ecclesiastical parishHarwell St. Matthew 
HundredMoreton 
Poor Law unionWantage 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Harwell 1559-1837, Berkshire is available to browse online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Harwell was in Wantage Registration District from 1837 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Harwell from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Harwell are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.

DistrictVale of White Horse
CountyOxfordshire
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtOX11
Post TownDidcot