Broom, a township in St Oswald parish, Durham, 2 miles W of Durham city, which is the post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 1086; population, 1508. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. There is a small mission church at Broom Park, erected in 1883. Bear Park, a populous colliery district and ecclesiastical parish, includes this township. The church is Early English, and was built in 1879. The living of Bear Park is a vicarage in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham; net value, £300. There is also a Wesleyan and a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Durham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broom from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: