GATTONSIDE, a village, in the parish of Melrose and district of Melrose, county of Roxburgh, 1 mile (N. by W.) from Melrose; containing 252 inhabitants. The situation of this village, in the finest part of the vale of Melrose, is romantically beautiful. It is seated on the southern slope of a hill on the north bank of the Tweed, opposite to Melrose, with which town it has been lately connected by a wire-bridge. The houses, which are generally thatched, are situated amidst orchards and gardens; and a greater quantity of fruit is grown here than in any other portion of the vale. The inhabitants are partly employed in agriculture, and partly in the manufactures of Galashiels.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis