GARTSHERRIE, for a time a quoad sacra parish, in the parish of Old Monkland, county of Lanark; containing, with the villages of Coatbridge, Coatdyke, Gartcloss, East Merrystone, and Summerlee, 5906 inhabitants, of whom 1499 are in the village of Gartsherrie, 2 miles (W.) from Airdrie. This is a considerable mining district, in the works connected with which nearly the whole population are employed: the iron-works are of great magnitude, including a considerable number of blast-furnaces for smelting the ore. The coal-mine here is worked on a very extensive scale; there are five strata of coal, between each of which is a stratum of sandstone and shale: the seams of coal vary in thickness from one foot four inches to four feet. Great facility of intercourse is afforded by the Glasgow, Garnkirk, and Coatbridge railway, the Monkland and Kirkintilloch railway, the Caledonian line, the Ballochney line, and the Wishaw and Coltness. Ecclesiastically, Gartsherrie is in the presbytery of Hamilton, synod of Glasgow and Ayr, and the patronage is vested in the subscribers to the church: the stipend of the minister is £150, secured by bond. The church, erected at a cost of £3300, is an elegant structure, with a tower rising to the height of 136 feet, and contains 1500 sittings. Near it is the Academy, erected in 1844, at a cost of £2300; and there is a large Sabbath school, taught by the elders.