GARMOUTH, a village, in the parish of Speymouth, and county of Elgin, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Fochabers; containing 604 inhabitants. This is a burgh of barony, situated near the mouth of the Spey, on the road to Fochabers, and is now so united to the village of Kingston that the two may be regarded as one place. The houses, generally, are not well built; but the streets are regularly laid out, and the appearance of Garmouth is rather neat and pleasing. The harbour here suffers under some natural disadvantages: since the flood of 1829, it has been far from secure, and it is at present unfit for the entrance of any vessels except those of small burthen. A considerable trade was formerly carried on in timber, but it has very much declined. There is, however, a good traffic in the exportation of corn and the importation of coal, and some excellent vessels are built; the place has, besides, the benefit of a valuable salmon-fishery in the Spey. About twelve vessels belong to the port, of the aggregate burthen of nearly 700 tons. In 1846 an act of parliament was passed authorizing the construction of a railway from Aberdeen to Inverness, with branches to Garmouth and other places. The parochial school is here. See Kingston-Port.