UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Garliestown, Wigtownshire

Historical Description

GARLIESTOWN, a village, in the parish of Sorbie, county of Wigtown, 7 miles (S.S.E.) from Wigtown; containing 656 inhabitants. This is a considerable modern sea-port village, founded by John, seventh Earl of Galloway, when Lord Garlies. It is built in the form of a crescent, and pleasantly situated along the head of a bay which bears its name and affords safe anchorage for vessels; and is an excellent fishing-station. The shore is flat and sandy; the depth of water in the bay, between twenty and thirty feet; and a large number of vessels may ride at anchor in safety in the harbour, which is open to Liverpool, Whitehaven, and other places on the western coast of England. About fifteen vessels belong to the port, of from fifty to 100 tons' burthen each; and foreign ships occasionally touch here. In the village is a rope and sailcloth manufactory. There are two schools, largely endowed by the Earl and Countess of Galloway, in which a number of children have gratuitous instruction.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis
CountryScotland

Advertisement

Advertisement