GARELOCH-HEAD, a village, in the parish of Row, county of Dumbarton, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Row; containing 217 inhabitants. This is a rising village, situated, as its name imports, at the head of the Gareloch, a beautiful branch of the Firth of Clyde; and consists chiefly of a collection of cottages. The loch extends in a northern direction about twelve miles into Dumbartonshire, forming the east side of the peninsula of Roseneath, on which is a fine seat of the Duke of Argyll; its average breadth is about a mile, and its greatest depth twenty-three fathoms. The banks of the loch are much less precipitous than those of the neighbouring Loch Long, which lies on the western side of the peninsula; and southward they become more level. At the entrance of the Gareloch is the fine village and watering-place of Helensburgh. A chapel in connexion with the Establishment was built by subscription at Gareloch-Head, about 1838; and there is also a school.