Brafferton, a township in Aycliffe parish, Durham, or. The river Skerne, 1 mile from Aycliffe station on the N.E.R., and 4¼ miles N of Darlington, which is the post town. Acreage, 2428; population, 157. There is a Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Darlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brafferton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brafferton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Brafferton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: