FRIOCKHEIM, for a time a quoad sacra parish, in the parishes of Kirkden and Inverkeillor, county of Forfar; containing 1443 inhabitants, of whom about 900 are in the village of Friockheim, 3½ miles (E. by N.) from Letham, and 6¼ (N. W. by N.) from Arbroath. This district is nearly five miles in extent, comprising about 1694 acres in tillage or pasture, 308 under plantation, and 395 in uncultivated waste; and is skirted on the whole of its northern boundary by the Lunan water, one of the finest trouting-streams in Forfarshire. The village, which stands on the north-eastern limits of the district, has grown up within the last twenty or five-and-twenty years under the auspices of John Andson, Esq., owing chiefly to the feuing of small lots of ground, and the rapid increase of the linen manufacture in the neighbourhood. Upwards of 400 persons are now employed in flax-spinning, and the manufacture of sheetings, Osnaburghs, dowlas, and sail-cloth, which are exported principally to the American markets. The houses are neatly built, and there is a spinning-mill and yarn-washing mill. The turnpike-road from Arbroath to Forfar runs nearly through the centre of the district: the Arbroath and Forfar railway passes within three minutes' walk south of the village, having a station here; and the Aberdeen railway also affords a frequent and expeditious communication. Ecclesiastically the place is within the limits of the presbytery of Arbroath, synod of Angus and Mearns: the stipend of the minister is £70, derived from seat-rents and collections, with a manse; and the patronage is vested in the male communicants, heads of families. Friockheim church, erected in 1835, and since enlarged, is a neat edifice containing 600 sittings. There is a parochial school, in which the usual branches of education are taught, and which is capable of accommodating 140 scholars; and a parochial library has been instituted by the Kirk Session.