Boldon, two villages and townships forming a parish in Durham. The villages are West and East Boldon, about a mile from each other, and 4½ miles NW of Sunderland. There is a post and money order office at both places (R.S.O.), telegraph office, West Boldon. Acreage of parish, 4215; population of the civil parish, 4890; of the ecclesiastical, 1926. There is a station on the N.E.R. for goods only at West Boldon, and a passenger station at East Boldon, called Cleadon Lane. The manor belonged from time immemorial to the See of Durham, and gave name to the "Boldon Buke" an ancient survey of the diocese, of which four copies only still exist. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are now lords of the manor. There is an extensive colliery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £480 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The parish church is Early English, and has several memorial windows. There are two chapels and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Boldon St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||South Shields|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Boldon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Boldon (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: