UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Finnieston, Lanarkshire

Historical Description

FINNIESTON, a village and western suburb, within the jurisdiction of the city of Glasgow, county of Lanark; containing 2096 inhabitants. This place, which forms part of Anderston, was commenced by the founder of that district on a plan laid down by his chaplain, the Rev. Mr. Finnie, from whom it derived its name. It consists of several streets, crossing each other at right angles. The houses are well built, with garden-ground attached to each, and stretch northward from the banks of the Clyde, on which are some handsome villas, occupied by the opulent merchants and manufacturers of the city, and which, from their elevated site, command pleasingly interesting views. In the village is a spacious manufactory of cut-glass, in which many articles of the most elegant and brilliant quality are produced. To the east of this place are Grahamston and Brownfield, formerly distinguished as detached suburban villages, but now forming an integral part of the city.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis
CountryScotland

Advertisement

Advertisement