Bolam, a township and a chapelry in Gainford parish, Durham, 5½ miles S of Bishop Auckland, and 9 from Darlington. It has a post and money order office under Heighington (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Gainford. Acreage, 1013; population of the township, 134; of the chapelry, 169. The latter was constituted in 1867. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £129, in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge. There is also a Wesleyan chapel. Lord Barnard is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Auckland|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bolam from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Bolam are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: