FASKINE, a village, in the parish of Old Monkland, Middle ward of the county of Lanark, 1½ mile (S.) from Airdrie; containing 408 inhabitants. It is situated in the eastern extremity of the parish, and is one of the numerous villages that owe their rise to the minerals or manufactures of the district. Faskine is the seat of an extensive colliery, and it was here that the coal called the Splint, or Lady Anne coal, was first found, the seam deriving its name from Lady Anne Stirling, the wife of A. Stirling, Esq. In the neighbourhood of the village are four ironstone mines.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis