Bishop Wearmouth, Durham
Wearmouth, Bishop, a township and a parish in Durham. The township lies on the coast, at the mouth of the river Wear, and to the S of that river, a part of the ancient parish having been cut off to form the parish of Sunderland. It is partly within Sunderland municipal borough. Acreage, 2668 of land and 167 of water and foreshore; population, 87,648. The trade, commerce, and manufacture are the same as those of Sunderland. The parish contains also the townships of Bishop Wearmouth Panns, Burdon, Ford, Silksworth, Tunstall, and Ryhope. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £1700. Patron, the Bishop. The church is a cruciform building, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, and western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wearmouth Bishop St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Houghton-le-Spring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bishop Wearmouth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wearmouth, Bishop (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: