UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Bishopton, Durham

Historical Description

Bishopton, a village, a township, and a parish in Durham. The township lies 2 miles SSW of Stillington railway station, and 5½ WNW of Stockton-upon-Tees. It has a post office under Ferry Hill; money order office, Carlton Iron Works; telegraph office, Stockton. The parish includes also the townships of Little Stainton and East and West Newbiggin. Acreage, 2178; population of the civil parish, 357; of the ecclesiastical, 460. There are vestiges of an entrenchment, supposed to have surrounded the mansion of Roger de Conyers, who, in the time of King Stephen, resisted and overcame William Cumyn, an insurrectionary and devastating pretender to the see of Durham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £240 with residence. The church is in good order.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Ecclesiastical parishBishopton St. Peter 
Poor Law unionSedgefield 
WardStockton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bishopton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Bishopton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyDarlington
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtTS21
Post TownStockton-On-Tees

Advertisement

Advertisement