UK Genealogy Archives logo

Elan A Bhriu, Sutherland

Historical Description

ELAN A BHRIU, an isle, in the parish of Eddrachillis, county of Sutherland. It lies off the western coast, and derives its name, signifying "the Island of the Judge", from the circumstance of the bowels of Judge Morrison of Lewis having been interred here, after his murder by Little John Mac Dhoil Mhich Huishdan. The isle is about four acres in extent, and furnishes good pasture for lands. It is always held by the minister of Eddrachillis, as the gift of the noble family of Mac Kay, Lords Reay.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis