EILDON, a hamlet, in the parish and district of Melrose, county of Roxburgh, 1½ mile (E. S. E.) from Melrose; containing 56 inhabitants. It is situated in the south-eastern part of the parish, and on the road from Melrose to Jedburgh. In the vicinity is the elegant mansion of Eildon Hall, surrounded by fine plantations; and about a mile westward are the Eildon hills, which are partly in Bowden parish. They are three in number, and are of conical form, rising from one broad base; the elevation of two of them is about 1400 feet above the sea, and the north-east hill is chiefly remarkable for the vestiges of a regularly-formed Roman camp, communicating with military stations on the two other hills. The views that are obtained from the summits are magnificent, and embrace a great part of the south-eastern district of Scotland.