Bishop Middleham, Durham
Bishop-Middleham, a township and a parish in Durham. The township lies on the river Skem, 2 miles SE of Ferry Hill railway station, and 8½ SSE of Durham, and has a post and money order office under Ferry Hill, which is the telegraph office. Acreage, 2086; population of the civil parish, 445; of the ecclesiastical, 603. The parish contains also the townships of Mainsforth and Thrislington. The manor was once a seat of the Bishops of Durham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bishop's Middleham St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Sedgefield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bishop Middleham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Middleham, Bishop's (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Bishop Middleham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: