EDMONSTONE, a village, in the parish of Newton, county of Edinburgh, 3½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Edinburgh; containing 143 inhabitants. It lies in the western part of the parish, and is one of several small villages within its hmits, some of which consist of long rows of red-tiled houses, chiefly inhabited by colliers. The road from Edinburgh to Dalkeith passes at a short distance on the south; and a little westward of the village is Edmonstone House, an elegant residence finely situated amidst beautiful plantations. The chapel at Edmonstone is a handsome building in the later English style, now used only as a mausoleum for the Wauchop family, of Edmonstone House.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis