UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Birtley, Durham

Historical Description

Birtley, a township, a village, and an ecclesiastical parish in Chester-le-Street parish, Durham. The township lies on the Team Valley railway, 5 miles S by E of Gateshead, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chester-le-Street, and a station on the N.E.R. Acreage, 1429; population, 4175; of the ecclesiastical parish, 4612. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. Coal is worked, and there is a brine spring. The parish was constituted in 1850, and includes the hamlet of Birtley North Side, Brown's Buildings, Leybourne Hold, and Portobello. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Chester-le-Street. The church was built in 1848. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels, and a literary institute.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishChester le Street 
Poor Law unionChester-le-Street 
WardChester 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Birtley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Birtley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

DistrictGateshead
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDH3
Post TownChester Le Street

Advertisement

Advertisement