UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ealan Na Roan, Sutherland

Historical Description

EALAN-NA-ROAN, an isle, in the parish of Tongue, county of Sutherland; containing 42 inhabitants. This place, the name of which signifies the "Island of Seals", is situated at the entrance to the Kyle of Tongue. It is about two miles in circumference, and is formed of a mixture of sand and a reddish kind of pebble, which appear as if baked together. The isle contains a large quantity of peat-moss, and has plenty of fresh water. Some years since, part of the land near the middle sank without any visible cause, occasioning a vast chasm. See Tongue.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis