UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ealan Na Coomb, Sutherland

Historical Description

EALAN-NA-COOMB, an isle, in the parish of Tongue, county of Sutherland. This isle, also called Ealan na Naoiniph, or "Island of Saints", lies off the northern coast of Sutherland, and a little eastward of the mouth of the Kyle of Tongue; it is of very small extent, and of nearly circular form. Here were formerly a chapel and burying-place, the remains of which are still visible. See Tongue.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis