Dundyvan and New Dundyvan, Lanarkshire
DUNDYVAN and NEW DUNDYVAN, villages, in the parish of Old-Monkland, Middle ward of the county of Lanark, 1½ mile (W. S. W.) from Airdrie; containing, the one 1298, and the other 2202 inhabitants. These are two among numerous villages which have lately and rapidly sprung up in connexion with the extensive coal-mines and iron and other works of this district, so distinguished for its mineral wealth and manufacturing importance. They lie on the high road from Airdrie to Glasgow, and are the seat of considerable iron-works, which employ nearly the whole of the male population. The ironstone wrought for the furnaces here is very valuable, some of it yielding from thirty to forty per cent, of iron; it is of the sort usually denominated "black band", and chiefly produced from the lands of Rochsilloch, the property of Sir William Alexander. About a mile south-east of Dundyvan are the celebrated Calder iron-works; at the same distance westward are the Drumpellier coal-mines; and all around there are pits and quarries in full operation.