Belmont, an ecclesiastical parish in the county of Durham, on the Durham and Sunderland railway, 2 miles ENE of Durham. It was constituted in 1852, and contains the Durham suburbs of Belmont, Kepier Grange, Old Grange, New Durham, Gilesgate-Moor or Gilligate, and the villages of Broomside and Carville. Post town, Durham. Population, 2504. Coal is worked. Belmont Hall, Ravensflat, and the Grange are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop of Durham. The church was built in 1857, and is in the Early Decorated English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Broomside.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: