DUFFTOWN, a village, in the parish of Mortlach, county of Banff, ½ a mile (N.) from Mortlach; containing 770 inhabitants. This village, which is situated a short distance from the junction of the rivers Fiddich and Dullan, is of recent growth, having arisen since the year 1817, when the first of its present buildings was commenced. A kind of market for grain is held here, which is occasionally resorted to by the dealers in the neighbourhood, but not on any particular day; and fairs for the sale of cattle are held five times during the year. There is a daily post; and a small prison has been built in the village, for the temporary confinement of delinquents previously to their committal.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis