UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Dubbieside or Inverleven, Fifeshire

Historical Description

DUBBIESIDE, or Inverleven, a village, in the late quoad sacra parish of Methill, parish of Markinch, county of Fife, 6 miles (S. E.) from Markinch; containing 348 inhabitants. This village is pleasantly situated on the western bank of the river Leven, near its influx into the Firth of Forth, and is neatly and regularly built, consisting of one principal street intersected at right angles by two smaller streets. The inhabitants are generally employed at their own houses in weaving sheetings, dowlas, and towellings, for the manufacturers in the neighbouring districts. The surrounding scenery is of pleasing character, and the village is connected with the town of Leven, on the opposite shore, by a handsome suspension-bridge across the river. It contains a meeting-house in connexion with the United Presbyterian Synod.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis
CountryScotland

Advertisement

Advertisement