DRUMORE, a village, in the parish of Kirkmaiden, county of Wigtown, ¾ of a mile (S. E.) from Kirkmaiden; containing 279 inhabitants. This village is seated on the eastern shore of the peninsula called the Rhinns of Galloway, and has a good harbour and quay, with safe anchorage for shipping. Four vessels, of between sixteen and thirty-seven tons' burthen, belong to the port, whence farm produce is shipped to various places; and in Luce bay some fishing is carried on. There is a daily post from Stranraer, distant south-south-east about twenty miles. Above the village are the ruins of Drumore Castle, which from its position and magnitude must have been of great strength and importance.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis