DINWOODIE, an ancient chapelry, in the parish of Applegarth, county of Dumfries, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Lockerbie. It is situated on the road from Lockerbie to Moffat, and a little east of the river Annan, which bounds the parish on the west. On Dinwoodie Green is an inn, which served as a stage to the mail between London and Glasgow, prior to the introduction of railways. The Caledonian railway passes here, and has a station called the Nethercleuch station. Dinwoodie hill, in the neighbourhood of the village, is 736 feet high.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis