DEAN, formerly a quoad sacra parish, partly in the parish of Corstorphine, but chiefly in the parish of St. Cuthbert, Edinburgh, county of Edinburgh; containing 2262 inhabitants, of whom 108 are in Corstorphine, and 2154 in St. Cuthbert's. This place, now somewhat decayed, is situated on the north bank of the Water of Leith, and forms a western suburb of the city of Edinburgh, from which it is distant about three-quarters of a mile. The village stands on the Edinburgh and Queensferry road, on both sides of which it once stood. In its vicinity is Dean bridge, a superb and stupendous structure, thrown over the ravine of the Water of Leith, and having four arches, each ninety feet in span, and of corresponding height from the stream; it was completed in 1831, and from it is presented one of the finest views in the neighbourhood of the city. Dean House here, is a venerable mansion surrounded with fine old trees, which failed not to attract the notice of Sir Walter Scott. The parish was in the presbytery of Edinburgh, synod of Lothian and Tweeddale. Dean church, erected in 1836, and intended chiefly for the inhabitants of the village of Water-of-Leith, and the surrounding population, is in the later English style, and contains 1030 sittings, of which thirty are free: the stipend of the minister is £80, arising from seat-rents and collections. There are also an episcopal chapel, and a place of worship for members of the Free Church.