UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St David, Fifeshire

Historical Description

DAVID, ST., a village and sea-port, in the parish of DALGETY, district of DUNFERMLINE, county of FIFE, 1 mile (E. N. E.) from North Queensferry; containing 155 inhabitants. This little sea-port, which is situated on the Firth of Forth, owes its origin to the Fordel collieries, in the parish, belonging to Admiral Sir P. H. Durham, G.C.B., by whom great improvements were made in it, for the more expeditious and convenient shipping of the coal so largely obtained. The harbour, which, from what remains of the original works, seems to have been badly constructed, was improved by the proprietor at an expense of £2000, and now affords safe anchorage to ships of 500 tons' burthen, which may load and deliver their cargoes on the beach. There are extensive saltworks: the salt water, at flood-tides, is forced by a steam-engine into a capacious reservoir, whence, after depositing its residuum of sand, it is conveyed in a purified state into large pans, producing annually about 30,000 bushels of salt. The Fordel collieries are now closed.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis
CountryScotland

Advertisement

Advertisement