Auckland St Helen, Durham
Auckland, St Helen, a township and a parish in Durham, on the river Gaunless and on the Stockton and Darlington branch of the N.E.R., 3½ miles SW of Bishop-Auckland. It has a station called West Auckland on the railway, and a post office under Bishop-Auckland; money order and telegraph office, West Auckland. Acreage, 1510; population of the civil parish, 923; of the ecclesiastical, 4096. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £4:00 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is very ancient, the registers dating from 1593. The eastern part of nave is doubtless as early as the llth century. There is also a very fine old hall-St Helen Hall, the property of the Musgrave family. The banqueting room in this hall has a magnificent carved ceiling. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the collieries.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Auckland|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Auckland St Helen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Auckland, St. Helen)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: