Auckland St Andrew, Durham
Auckland, St Andrew, a township, a village, and a parish in Durham. The township lies on the Bishop-Auckland and Weardale railway, near the confluence of the Gaunless and, the Wear rivers, 1 mile SE of Bishop-Auckland. Acreage, 1274; population of the civil parish, 3110; of the ecclesiastical, 12,235. The parish includes also the townships of Bishop-Auckland, Coundon-Grange, Newton-Cap, and Pollards-Land, and its post town is Bishop-Auckland, which is the money order and telegraph office. Coal and limestone are extensively worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £542 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is a cruciform structure, with a tower at the west end; was made collegiate by Bishop Beck in 1292, for a dean and nine prebendaries: contains brasses and the effigies of a crusader; and has been thoroughly restored. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and four schools.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Auckland|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Auckland St Andrew from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Auckland, St. Andrew)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: