Acklam or East Acklam, a township, a parish, and a village in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township is called Acklam-with-Barthorpe, and lies 5 miles ESE of Kirkham railway station, and 7 S of Malton. Acreage, 2360; population of Acklam-with-Barthorpe, 282; of Leavening, 339. The parish is called East Acklam, and contains also the township of Leavening. There is a post office at Acklam under York; money order office, Leavening; telegraph office, Malton. The surface is on the Wolds, and commands a very extensive view. The manor belongs to the Crown. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £287 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1868. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Some ancient entrenchments and other works, British or Roman, are on the hills,
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stockton-upon-Tees|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Acklam from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Acklam-in-Cleveland)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: