Wynford Eagle, Dorset
Winford Eagle, a parish in Dorsetshire, 1½ mile SW of Maiden Newton station on the G.W.R. It gives the title of Baron Wynford to the family of Best. Post town, Maiden Newton, under Dorchester. Acreage, 1788; population, 120. Several barrows are on Fern Down. The living is annexed to Toller Fratrum. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, and was erected in 1842. The physician Sydenham, of the time of Charles II., was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dorchester||1836 -|
|Registration sub-district||Maiden Newton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1842. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Lawrence (parish church)
The parish church of St. Lawrence, erected in 1842, is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, and a turret containing one bell; the interior was renovated in 1902; there are 80 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Wynford Eagle was in Dorchester Registration District from 1837 to 1949 and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Wynford Eagle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.