Winfrith Newburgh, Dorset
Winfrith Newburgh, a parish, with Winfrith village and three hamlets, in Dorsetshire, 3 miles SW of Wool station on the L. & S.W.K., and 8 WSW of Wareham. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Dorchester. Acreage, 5015; population, 869. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. A seat of the Newburghs was here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is an ancient structure of stone with an embattled western tower with six bells, and has been restored. A chapel of ease is at Burton. Bishops Lindwood and Atkyns were rectors.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Winfrith-Newburgh St. Christopher|
|Poor Law union||Wareham and Purbeck||1836 -|
|Registration sub-district||Bere Regis|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1585. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Christopher (parish church)
The parish church of St. Christopher is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing 6 bells: the north doorway and some other portions are Norman: the church was restored and enlarged in 1854, and now affords 400 sittings: an organ chanber was added in 1914 in memory of the Rev. S. W. M. Nash M.A. rector 1889-1913.
Photo © Emma Batty-Smith
Winfrith Newburgh was in Wareham Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Poole Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winfrith Newburgh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Winfrith-Newburgh (St. Christopher))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Winfrith Newburgh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Villages, Hamlets, &cBurton (Winfrith Newburgh)
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.