Grazeley, a township and an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1854, now in the parishes of Shinfield, Sulhampstead-Abbots, and Sulhampstead-Bannister, Berks, 4 miles SSW of Reading. Post town, Reading; money order and telegraph office, Mortimer. Acreage of township, 519; population, 32; of the ecclesiastical parish, 636. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £135 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford. The church is a small building of flint, erected in 1850. Hartley Court is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Sulhampstead Abbott's|
|Poor Law union||Bradfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1856.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1850, is a small structure of flint, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a belfry, containing one bell: the east window is stained, and there are also two memorial windows: the church affords 250 sittings.
Grazeley was in Bradfield Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Wokingham Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Grazeley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Graisley-Green)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Grazeley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.