Cross or Ness, Ross and Cromarty
CROSS, or NESS, for a time a quoad sacra parish, in the parish of BARVAS, county of ROSS and CROMARTY, 27 miles (N. W.) from Stornoway; containing 1810 inhabitants. The district is about ten miles in length, and seven in breadth, and surrounded on all sides by the Atlantic, except on the south, where it is bounded by Barvas and Stornoway. It forms the most northern part of the island of Lewis, and its shores are bold and wild: in many parts it is hilly, abounds in lakes, and its large moors are deep and wet. The population is employed a good deal in cod and ling fishing. The parish was in the presbytery of Lewis, synod of Glenelg: the stipend of the minister was £120, with a manse, and a glebe of the annual value of £3; patron, the Crown. The church, situated about two miles from the Butt of Lewis, was erected in 1829, by the Parliamentary Commissioners, and is a good and substantial, but plain edifice. All the population adhered in 1843 to the Free Church of Scotland. There are two or three schools. Here are the ruins of a place of worship, supposed to have been a chapel before the Reformation.