West Orchard, Dorset
Orchard, West, a parish in Dorsetshire, on an affluent of the river Stour, 3 miles NE of Sturminster Newton station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, and 5½ SSW of Shaftesbury. Post town, Shaftesbury. The parish comprises 669 acres. Population, 115. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Fontmell Magna, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is a small Gothic structure, rebuilt in 1878.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Shaftesbury||1836 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1653. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
dedication unknown (parish church)
The church (dedication unknown) was re-built, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and a western turret containing 2 bells: it will seat 80 people.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
West Orchard was in Shaftesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Sturminster Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Orchard from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of West Orchard are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.