CROFTHEAD, a village, in the parish of NEILSTON, Upper ward of the county of RENFREW,¾ of a mile (W. S. W.) from Neilston, containing 297 inhabitants. This place, which is situated a little east of the road from Irvine to Barrhead, owes its origin to the introduction of the cotton manufacture. In 1792 an extensive spinning and weaving mill was built, around which the village has arisen. In addition to the cottages of the work-people employed in the factory, and in the printing and bleaching establishments connected with the cotton trade, there are some neat houses inhabited by persons occupied in superintending and conducting these extensive works.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis