Craighall and New Craighall, Edinburghshire
CRAIGHALL and NEW CRAIGHALL, villages, the former wholly in the parish of INVERESK, the latter chiefly in INVERESK parish, and partly in that of LIBNERTON, in the county of EDINBURGH; containing respectively 501 and 336 inhabitants. Craighall is situated about two miles south-south-west of Musselburgh. Coal is abundant, and in the vicinity are extensive coal-mines. Close to the village is Pinkie House, the seat of Sir John Hope, Bart.; it was originally a country seat of the abbots of Dunfermline, and after the Reformation became private property. Although still a large structure, it is evidently only part of a magnificent design.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis