COWCADDENS, a village, in the late ecclesiastical district of ST. STEPHEN's, within the jurisdiction of the city of GLASGOW, county of LANARK, ½ a mile (N.) from Glasgow. This is a populous village, and formed, with Port-Dundas and Woodside, one of the divisions that were ecclesiastically separated from Barony parish. It is chiefly occupied by persons employed in hand-loom weaving, and in the various factories in the vicinity of Glasgow. There are five schools, of which one is in connexion with the Roman Catholics, and two are female schools.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis