St Combs, Aberdeenshire
COMBS, ST., a village, in the parish of LONMAY, district of DEER, county of ABERDEEN, 5 miles (S. E.) from Fraserburgh; containing 305 inhabitants. It lies on the eastern coast, about two miles to the south-south-east of Cairnbulg point, and is also called St. Colm, a name at different times borne by the parish, from the saint to whom the old church was dedicated. The inhabitants are chiefly fishermen, who have about thirteen boats for the herring, and the same number for ordinary white, fishing. On the sea-side near the village, originally stood the church. There is a parochial school here, the master of which has a salary of £28, with £25 from Dick's bequest, and the school fees.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis