Wambrook, a parish in Dorsetshire, 2½ miles WSW of Chard station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Chard; money order and telegraph office, Chard. Acreage, 1867; population, 231. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £180 with residence. The church is a small plain edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style. The chancel was restored and a new vestry built in 1893. There is an old porch and doorway on the S side of the church, supposed to be Saxon.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wambrook St. Mary|
|Hundred||Beaminster Forum and Redborne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1653. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, Early English north and south porches and an embattled western tower, with one pinnacle and containing a peal of 5 bells: there are several memorial tablets to the Beviss family, resident landowners here for centuries: there are 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Wambrook was in Chard Registration District from 1837 to 1895
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wambrook from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wambrook (St. Mary))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Wambrook are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
This parish was from Mar. 31, 1896, transferred from Dorset to Somerset, under the provisions of section 54 of the Local Government Act, 1888 (51 and 52 Vict. c. 41), by Local Government Provisional Orders Confirmation (No. 12) Act (58 and 59 Vict. c. 91), Order made May 27, 1895, numbered P. 1,164.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.