Walditch, a parish in Dorsetshire, 1½ mile E of Bridport station on the G.W.R. Post town, Bridport Acreage, 295; population, 175. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, with Christ Church, Bridport, £170. The church, rebuilt in 1863, is in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridport||1836 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1637. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Walditch, 1738-1812 is online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary, rebuilt about 1863, is a small building of stone, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and a western turret containing one bell; the aisle arcade is supported by octagonal piers with moulded capitals; there are three lancet lights at the east end of the chancel; the original Norman font still remains; the church affords 140 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Walditch was in Bridport Registration District from 1837 to 1894
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Walditch from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Walditch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.