COALTON, a village, in the parish of KETTLE, district of CUPAR, county of FIFE, 1 mile (S. E.) from Balmalcolm, containing 84 inhabitants. This village is situated in the hilly part of the parish, and appears to have derived its name from the coal-works which are still carried on here, though not to so great an extent as formerly. The present seam in operation is a kind of blind coal, which is solely used for burning lime; the produce, amounting in value to no more than about £70 per annum, is chiefly sent to the lime-works at Pitlessie. A quarry of freestone has also been opened, and is worked to a limited extent, being used for building purposes, and for the inclosures of several farms in the parish.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis