UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Clachan St Johns, Kirkcudbrightshire

Historical Description

CLACHAN, ST. JOHN'S, a village, in the parish of DALRY, stewartry of KIRKUDBRIGHT, 15 miles (N. N. W.) from Castle-Douglas; containing 574 inhabitants. This village, which is situated on the banks of the river Ken, was built upon lands leased for the purpose by the Earl of Galloway. The houses, to each of which is attached a portion of land for a garden, are neatly built; the village is spacious, and has a pleasingly rural aspect. A branch post-office, under the office of Castle-Douglas, has been established; and a pleasure-fair, called the Clachan Race, is held annually. Coaches pass through daily, between Ayr and Kirkcudbright. An ancient stone named St. John's Chair, formerly in the old church, dedicated to St. John, is still preserved here; and also a stone with the inscription "P. G. VII"., supposed to have been the foundation stone of a chapel erected in the time of Pope Gregory VII.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis