CLACHAN, a village, chiefly in the parish of CAMPSIE, and partly in that of FINTRY, county of STIRLING, 2 miles (W.) from Lennoxtown, containing 191 inhabitants. This village, called the Clachan of Campsie, is romantically situated in the vicinity of copse woods and secluded valleys, which are much resorted to in summer. The hills above it bend in the form of an amphitheatre, and numerous streams pour down the winding glens into the Glassert, a rivulet which rises in Campsie fells, and falls into the Kelvin above Kirkintilloch. A bleachfield, for the preparation of various kinds of muslin, was established here in 1819. The village formerly contained the parochial church.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis