CHESTERS, a village, in the parish of SOUTHDEAN, district of JEDBURGH, county of ROXBURGH, 6 miles (S.) from Jedburgh; containing 82 inhabitants. The village is seated between the Rule and Jedburgh waters, from which it is equidistant; and on account of its central situation it contains the church. On the adjacent heights are the ruins of some strong fortifications or camps; their form is circular, and in general they are quite distinct. Each is apparently within view of Southdean Law, which, according to tradition, was a place of observation, where fires were lighted on the approach of an enemy.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis