CATTERLINE, a village, in the parish of KINNEFF and CATTERLINE, county of KINCARDINE, 5 miles (N. by E.) from Stonehaven, containing 79 inhabitants. This village is situated on the eastern coast, and chiefly inhabited by fishers, who have two boats, and take cod, ling, skate, haddock, and various kinds of shell-fish. A small harbour has been formed by the erection of a pier, at the expense of Viscount Arbuthnott, which affords facilities for the landing of coal, lime, and other necessary supplies; and from the natural advantages of the situation, there is great probability of its further extension. A coast-guard station has also been established here.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis