New Cathcart, Renfrewshire
CATHCART-NEW, a village, in the parish of CATHCART, county of RENFREW, ½ a mile (W.) from Old Cathcart; containing 280 inhabitants. This village is of very modern date, and is indebted for its origin to the opening of a new line of road into the county of Ayr, which is carried over the river Cart, near this place, by a neat bridge, erected in 1800. The inhabitants were greatly increased in number by the opening of a coalmine in the immediate vicinity, in which the greater portion of them were employed; but this work has been suspended in its operation.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis